Monday, November 16, 2020

THE REAL BATTLE HAS BEEN WON

By Sydney Williams



Port Arthur, TX--1 out of 8 women are likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer. Michelle Williams, a mother of 3 and wife for over 20 years was one of those women. After feeling a lump in her breast she immediately contacted her doctor and did lots of testing.


After weeks of waiting, in 2009 of March she was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. “I felt like my world just came crumbling down after I found out the news, I was so scared and in disbelief” said Michelle.  


Searching for a doctor to treat her, she made the decision to visit MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Where she was treated by Dr. M. Green. “They gave me advice and information, which really helped me feel a little bit better” she stated .


Dr. Green explained to Mrs. Williams that she will have to do a minor surgery and chemotherapy treatments , which caused her to lose hair and often made her sick. Chemotherapy is the treatment of disease by the use of chemical substances and used in many hospitals


“I started losing hair until I became bald everywhere, most days I felt so sick that I couldn't leave my room” said Williams “Some days I didn't feel like myself and when I looked in the mirror I didn't look like myself” she also stated . These are common side effects of chemotherapy that most patients go through.


Months and months of chemotherapy she was finally free at last, as Mrs. Williams walked through the doors of MD Anderson to take her last dose of chemotherapy. After a whole year of surgeries and taking all kinds of medicines she was finally done.


“The most  exciting day of that year was being done with chemotherapy, I was so tired of being so sick” she cried “I can finally get back to my family” she stated.


After finishing up chemotherapy, a couple weeks went by as test were being analyzed. she went for her final check up to find out her results which came back positive stating that she was cancer free.


Filled with joy as tears rolled down, it was over. No more test, chemotherapy, surgeries and heartache. “Support and prayer is what got me through it all” she stated “Without love from my family and friends I don't know how I could have survived cancer”.


Williams is now in good health and is helping other woman with their cancer journey as well. She speaks at cancer walks and other events around her local community.


“A lot of women come to me to hear my journey whether they have been diagnosed or not, i am hear to let them know that I am a survivor and they can be one as well” she says. “I beat cancer I didnt let it beat me” also stated. 


She also encourages women to go to the doctor regularly and get checked for things like cancer. Health is important, it doesn’t just happen to women but men also.

No comments:

Post a Comment